Are you suffering from back pain? In this blog, we have compiled a list of best mattress toppers for back pain that can help you fight the muscle strains and back pain so that you can get a good night sleep.
Sleeping on an old, hard and firm mattress makes it even worse?
It is a nightmare!
After a long and tiring day, the neglected comfort of your mattress keep you awake at night and keeps you tired and lethargic throughout the day.
Due to long and tiring office jobs, sitting on a highly uncomfortable office chair is making lower back pain a common problem.
As back pain now a days is a common ailment, people usually accept the pain and they don’t try or do research on products that can improve their conditions.
As unfortunate as it may feel, there is no need to lose hope. After years of Research and Development the modern-day sleep engineers had developed effective tools that can help you cope up with back pain and other muscular strains.
Using an effective mattress topper placed on the mattress not only increases the life of the mattress, it also adjusts your laying posture and gives a pressure relieving comfort to the shoulders, lower back, neck, and hips.
Best Mattress Toppers for Back Pain – Detailed Reviews
No 1: Lucid Ventilated Toppers – Best Mattress Topper for Back Pain With Cooling Gel
Lucid Ventilated topper is a 3-inch topper that is made from ventilated gel memory foam. The Plush, therapeutic memory foam gives sleeper additional softness and pressure relief that eventually helps in resolving back, neck, and shoulder pain.
The memory foam aligns with your body and it eliminates all the excessive pressure on the spine and other pressure points. It’s well contoured and adaptive qualities help sleepers to sleep like and baby in a cradle. It has a customizable feel to it that gives same conforming feel in all sleeping position. However, its added thickness will give deeper sink that one should note who had previously owned a thinner topper. You can also preview Lucid Ventilated 2-Inch Memory Foam Topper (See Price).
The topper has a ventilated design unlike traditional mattress toppers it had ventilation holes that act as channels for air circulation. This design gives superior air flow and regulates temperature making it the best mattress topper for hot sleepers.
This mattress provides additional breathability. It is made from high quality memory foam having advanced gel material that does not store heat in hot weather, creating a more comfortable environment.
- Best Mattress topper for bad back that can accommodate all types of sleepers.
- Medium firm mattress topper and is ideal for middle weight adults.
- Comes with a 3 years Warranty.
- Uses Gel infused memory foam.
- Has ventilated design for superior air flow.
- Premium thickness of 3-Inches.
- Eliminates extra pressure from the spine.
- Dissipates an unpleasant smell when brand new.
- There is no topper cover included out on box.
No 2: Sleep Innovations Topper – Best Pillow Top Mattress Topper for Back Pain
Sleep Innovations mattress topper is dual layered memory foam topper with enhanced support system. The topper is the best topper for back pain due to its premium 4-inch width.
This high-end topper features dual layer design. The first layer is of quilted fiber fill of 2-inches and the second layer is of gel memory foam also of 2-inches. The dual layers give personalized support and specialized comfort that provides a better posture throughout the night.
The gel infused memory foam layer is designed with the motive to ensure that you sleep cool. The memory foam is ventilated with small pours keeping you at an optimal temperature for an extremely comfortable high-quality sleep.
The top of the topper is of quilted fiber fills that looks like a sequence of pillows that are arranged together to give ultimate comfort. The memory foam provides sink that aligns with your spine and it relieves pressure.
A best option to change the feel and comfort of your ordinary mattress and experience the support and comfort that will help you cope up with the back, shoulder and hip pain.
The topper is convenient to setup. It comes in a box. Just unpack, unroll and place on the mattress to extend the life of your mattress. It comes with a machine washable cover that is easy to remove and is tight fitted to keep it in place.
- Best Mattress topper for front and stomach sleepers.
- Ideal pick for Heavy weight sleepers.
- Five-star reviews
- Comes with a 10 years warranty.
- Dual Layer Gel Memory Foam with Enhanced Spinal Support.
- Washable Pillow top cover.
- Certified Eco-Friendly by CertiPUR USA.
- Made in USA.
- It is slightly heavier than other toppers on this list.
- Gives a chemical like smell when out of box but it goes away within a week upon usage.
No 3: Superior Mattress Topper – Best Featherbed Mattress Pad for Back Pain
Get the best out of your ordinary mattress by transforming its comfort and support by using Superior Mattress Topper. It is an all-season luxurious mattress topper that provides the comfort and feels like that you have been sleeping on a bed of a 5-star hotel.
Superior Mattress Toppers are made from 100% premium microfiber fillings. The cover is silky soft and breathable that keeps sleeper cool and comfortable at night. The cover is stuffed with Down Alternative polyester fillings that give the necessary support to keep your spine align and provides pressure relief throughout the night.
The cover is made from durable fabric that is stain, fading, and wrinkle resistant. The microfibers filling allows the air to ventilate throughout the pad making your mattress breathable.
The topper is made from hypoallergenic material thus it does not expose sleepers to allergies that are caused by using goose down and feather bedding.
It has a pillow top cover adds luxurious softness to the mattress and the plush down alternative fill increases the support of the foam or spring mattress.
It contains a Baffle Box top with double needle stitching that keep the inner fill set and prevent it from shifting. It gives an even pressure relief to the back, shoulders and hips. The mattress pad is 2-inches to give an optimal comfort and prevent the topper from feeling to firm. It gives extra support and additional layer of softness that is insanely soothing and conforming throughout the night.
- Ideal mattress topper for side and front sleepers.
- Best mattress topper for back pain, middle weight adults.
- Made from 100% microfiber fillings.
- Comes with a pillow top cover.
- Offers optimal support and comfort to the spine.
- Made from hypoallergenic materials bring relief for allergic patients.
- Gives equal distribution to body heat.
- After first wash topper can feel a little flat, it fixes in a week of usage.
- Comes with a return period of only 30 days from the date of purchase.
No 4: TEMPUR-Adapt Topper – Premium Foam Mattress Topper for Back Pain
TEMPUR-Adapt PLUS cooling Mattress Topper combines the cool to touch cover with a 3-inch TEMPUR-material foam to give an iconic feel and comfort that you have never experienced before.
The topper is made from adaptive TEMPUR-material that is selling point of all the Tempur-Pedic products. It is available in all general mattress sizes i.e. Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and, California King.
The TEMPUR-material is highly adaptive, and it precisely adapts to the shape of your body when pressure is applied. The material is breathable and ventilated so that it can regulate the temperature of your body and help you to sleep cool and comfy at night.
TEMPUR-Adapt PLUS Mattress Topper is a premium mattress topper having a premium price point. It comes with a washable cover that has a cool to touch feel after every wash. Cover is made from highly breathable, stretchy and premium performance fabric. It is allergic resistant and will not irritate people having allergies. It also prevents the buildup of dust mites and other microscopic bacteria.
Tempur-Pedic recommend a care procedure that is; it is advised to wash the cover with cold water, do not use chlorine products or harsh stain removers, and it is recommended to use air drying techniques.
It is important to note that the core Tempur-Pedic foam is not washable thus don’t wash or dry clean the core foam. It is shipped to your house in a small cardboard box. Rolled up and wrapped with a plastic sheet.
- Ideal medium firm mattress topper for back pain.
- Best mattress topper for back pain that is good for all types of sleepers.
- Uses Premium TEMPUR-material foam.
- Adapts to the body for custom comfort and support.
- Comes with antiallergic, premium performance fabric cover.
- Designed and Tested by Trusted Engineers.
- Has over 1700 reviews.
- Gives a 30 days exchange or replacement.
- It is a premium topper with a premium price.
No 5: Best Price Topper– Best Memory Foam Mattress Topper for Back Pain
The classic memory foam is the best option when it comes to developing a well supportive and comfortable sleeping surface. Best Price Mattress Topper is the best mattress topper for back pain that made from high quality memory foam.
It comes with a 4-inches premium thickness that is of a 1.5 inches memory foam and 2.5 inches high density base foam. The upper memory foam layer aligns with the body when you sleep, it also reduces pressure on the back, hips and shoulders. The base high-density foam is set to provide exceptional back support and keeps the topper firm on the mattress. Base foam also helps in isolating motion transfer between sleep partners which means that you will not feel the tossing and turning of your partner.
The upper layer of the topper is infused with green tea extracts that is best for reducing stress and anxiety to give a restful night. The green tea extract enhances the sleep quality, help you to sleep better, and wake up feeling fresh and energetic every morning.
The topper comes with a polyester mesh cover that is easy to remove and hand washable. It is certified eco-friendly by CertiPUR-US and has a 5-year manufacturer warranty. It is available all major mattress sizes i.e. Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King, And Short Queen.
Best Price Mattress Topper as it says is a best value mattress topper that is dual layered that gives sleepers pressure relieving comfort without draining your hard-earned dollars. It is very reasonably priced and cradles your body and enhances sleep climate for a good night sleep.
- An ideal pick for overweight sleepers.
- Best mattress topper for back pain for sleepers who are back or stomach sleepers.
- Comes with a 5 years Warranty.
- Best value and reasonably priced.
- Uses dual layer deign for optimal back support.
- Luxury thickness of 4-Inches.
- Eliminates extra pressure from the spine.
- Eco-friendly Certified by CertiPUR-US.
- It has a breathable mesh cover but still the topper gets quite warm especially during summers.
- The 4-inch thickness gives more sink as compare to 2- or 3-inch mattress toppers.
Best Mattress Topper for Back Pain: Buying Guide & Tips
One thing is very clear that mattress toppers are not full-size mattresses, they can be viewed as 2, 3, or 4 inches blocks of foam or paddings that are placed on the top of a mattress to give more support and comfort at night.
They are made from thin and light materials like cotton, memory foam, latex foam, and ventilated gel foams. They will arrive at your house in a small carboard package, in which the topper is rolled up and wrapped into a plastics sheet which protect it from dust and stain upon delivery.
Mattress Toppers are well considered to be a great tool that helps people cope up with the back pain and it is often recommended by doctors and physicians.
It is a great option if you are looking for an effective and simple fix for your old mattress. Trust me, it will be a great addition in your daily life as it will improve your sleep quality by giving you a feel and comfort that you need.
Things to consider in a Best Mattress Topper for Back Pain
Finding the Best Mattress Topper for Back Pain is not an easy task as there are a lot of noises in the marketplace that are selling mattress toppers as most of them do not land up to the expectations of the consumers.
The reason is that most of the people do not study and do research before buying a mattress topper thus they end up buying the wrong combination thus they are unsatisfied.
Here are the things that one should look into a mattress topper before purchasing
- Material from which the topper is made up of, memory foam and latex foam are the most common materials that are used in the making of mattress toppers. Both are pressure relieving and gives essential comfort to the back, hips and shoulders. However, memory foam mattress toppers are the best choice when it comes to back pain, it provides great support and effective weight distribution. The memory foam mattress toppers are highly conforming thus they adapt to the body shape when sleeping on them. Another material used is the pillow top mattress pads that are fiber filled pad that are extremely soft and plush. It is a premium material thus pillow top topper are high priced and are best for the people who are recovering from back and hip surgery.
- The amount of conformity the mattress topper can offer, the best conforming topper is the one that gives pressure relief for the pain areas. Conformity is a variable feature and its level depends on the weight of the sleepers and your preferred sleeping position.
- Sleeping positions that the topper is best for, sleeping on the back keeps the spine align with the topper naturally, but it is highly recommended to get a firmer topper as it does not compromise on back support. For stomach sleepers lack of support in the mid-section may lead to neck and shoulder pain making a firmer mattress ideal pick. As for side sleepers it is very essential that the topper provides necessary sink and push in the side areas so to give required conformity to the shoulders and hips.
- The price of the mattress topper, you can get a good mattress topper in the price range of $70 to $150. But there are also premium toppers pricing from $200 to well over $500.
- The mattress should be durable and must not sag for a number of years, one of the key issues that buyers face is the tearing and sagging of the mattress topper with a year or so from the buying date. See user reviews and FAQs to find out about the durability of the topper.
- The Mattress topper must have optimal thickness, we have different variations of thickness when it comes to mattress toppers. It important to note that thicker does not means that the topper is comfortable. Thinner topper proved to be firmer thus ideal firmness for the best mattress topper for bad back is medium firmness and 2 or 3 inches of thickness. The thicker toppers are softer, and they provide a deeper sink as compare to thinner toppers that is not recommended if you are suffering from back pain.
We would highly recommend checking our reviews and product ratings online to determine which mattress topper package is best for you.
Pros of Buying the Best Mattress Toppers for Back Pain
All around the world back pain is the leading cause that prevents people from actively participating in everyday activities. 2 out of 3 working Americans had acknowledged that they face back pain symptoms each year (1). Back pain is quite a rage sometimes it can be dull aches and sometimes sudden sharp sensations that can become worse and worse as time passes if not treated properly.
The issue of back pain can be treated by using back pain relief equipment that can help you by correcting the posture of sitting, standing and laying down. Mattress topper is a great tool that is recommended by physician to help cope up with a sore back.
Buying a new mattress is a significant investment that is they reason many people due to lack of money compromise of their sleep health. Mattress are a great option if you want to improve the feel and comfort of your old mattress with an effective and low-cost option.
Best mattress toppers are more supportive and comfortable than a mattress pad or protector. They help you alleviate back pain while you sleep. Sleeping on an effective topper gradually minimizes the symptoms of back pain and improves the overall alignment of the spine.
Cons of Buying a Mattress Toppers
Nothing is perfect in this World, it may see counter-intuitive, but the truth is that mattress toppers have some downsides as well. There is always room for improvement that is why physicians and sleep doctors are doing research and testing new materials to improve the support and comfort of your bed.
The potential downsides are
- Mattress topper is a temporary solution. If you are using an old mattress that is no longer comfortable and supportive. A good mattress topper will give support and comfort as long as the mattress under it is in a relatively good shape. Mattress toppers cannot completely reverse the comfort and feel of a low quality and unsupportive mattress thus we highly recommend doing through research before buying a mattress. If you are looking for a blog that can help you do research on the best mattresses for back pain, we welcome you to read out blog The Best Mattresses for Back Pain.
- Cost of a premium topper is relatively high. You can get mattress toppers from anywhere between $30 to $500. A Good quality, best mattress topper that is durable, supportive, comfortable, and reasonably priced may range from $100 to over $200.
- Choosing the right mattress topper is quite difficult. Selecting a good mattress that can be a perfect fit for all your comfort needs is quite difficult. Similarly, if you choose a mattress topper that is too soft or too firm can make your back even more sore. You have to do thorough research before selecting a mattress topper. How it feels heavily depend on your weight, height and the part of body that is under pain. Most of the prominent brand offers a 30- to 120-night trials, so that you can give it back and can apply for a refund if you are not satisfied.
Back problem has been a common ailment in the modern world as people who do office jobs tend to sit on an office for 8 to 9 hours daily.
And sleeping on an uncomfortable mattress makes the ailment even worse. After years of Research and Development orthopedic doctors and physicians had developed product that can help you to get rid of the common upper back and lower back pain.
Hopefully, this blog will help you in finding the best mattress topper for back pain as per your needs.
We have put a lot of work in publishing these contents, a like and comment would do great.
If you like the blog do share it with others.
Do tell us about your experience with the best mattress toppers for bad back and ask us any questions that you have regarding the post.
If you want to learn about sleep patterns and how you can improve your sleep patterns. Read our blog, 12 Tips How to Fix Your Sleep Schedule.
We Really Appreciate You Reading Our Blogs.
Stay Safe and Stay Healthy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are Mattress Toppers Good for Back Pain Relief?
Yes, a good and supportive mattress topper is a good option if you are suffering from back pain. The most important question is that which, toppers are right for you? Overall a memory foam mattress topper is the best option for back pain and many physician and doctors recommend them. If you are recovering from a back or hip surgery, it is good to have a pillow top memory foam topper as it will help to recover at a faster pace.
When Should You Buy a Mattress Topper for Back Pain?
You should buy a mattress topper when your mattress become old and less supportive, when you feel that your mattress is too firm, if you start to feel frequent low or upper back pain, and when you want to change the comfort or feel of your bed.
How Can a Mattress Topper Reduce Back Pain?
A mattress topper is a slab of supportive materials like memory foam, latex foam, or pillow top topper filled with cotton. Extensive pressure on the back can aggregate back pain so it is crucial to buy a good mattress topper. A good mattress topper adjusts with your body shape, aligns with the spine, it targets all the pressure points and give substantial support to the back, shoulders and hips.
What topper thickness is best for a mattress topper?
For most of the people 3-inch mattress topper is an ideal pick. Finding the correct topper thickness that can fulfill all your needs is based on three things; Your weight, Preferred sleeping positions, and the area of body that you want target. On the other hand, a 2-inch pillow top mattress topper will do fine if your mattress is in relatively good shape. For old sagged up mattresses a 4-inch mattress topper is preferred as the mattress itself is not providing any support and comfort in this case. A thicker mattress topper is an ideal pick for the overweight people and people who love plush and deeper sink as they sleep.
Are there firm mattress toppers?
Like mattresses most of the mattress toppers are medium firm because they are well suited for majority of the consumers. Manufacturers also offer soft and firm mattress toppers. However, medium firm mattress topper is best if you are suffering from a bad back.